Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea
US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back joint military exercises with close ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Trump said in a social media post on Sunday that the exercises, due to start on Monday, are costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful” while Trump has been in the White House.
- list 1 of 4North Korea slams South Korea’s peace overtures as US drills continue
- list 2 of 4N Korea launches ballistic missile as S Korea, US plan military drills
- list 3 of 4Why has North Korea fired a missile before US-South Korea drills?
- list 4 of 4North Korea fumes over upcoming US-South Korea military drills
end of list
“Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.
He also mentioned Seoul’s stance on the US-Israel war on Iran.
“I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'” he said.
Trump added that it was too late to cancel the drills, so he had ordered Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth to “substantially reduce” them.
When asked about Trump’s post, South Korea’s Ministry of Defence said the military exercises would “proceed as previously notified and scheduled”.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills, scheduled to run for 11 days from August 17 to 27, will involve 18,000 South Korean soldiers. They are a regular summer fixture for South Korea’s armed forces and their US allies, designed to prepare them for defence against the nuclear-armed North Korea, which is battle-hardened from its involvement in Russia’s war on Ukraine.
Advertisement
Pyongyang has always been angered by the exercises, saying they are rehearsals for an invasion.
Last week, North Korea denounced the latest drills as a provocation that heightens tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
A spokesperson for North Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Friday that the US-Japan-South Korea military cooperation is turning into a nuclear alliance, and Pyongyang will respond to a new level of threat with a new level of deterrent.
The following day, Trump posted a photo of himself standing next to Kim and wrote that the two leaders got along great, “despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture”.
During his first term, Trump met Kim three times.
This is not the first time that the US president has sought to end the exercises with South Korea. After a historic 2018 summit in Singapore with Kim, he called the military drills “expensive” and “provocative“.
Related News
Trump Media reportedly mulling fee for first access to social media posts
VIDEO: France ends Morocco’s World Cup run, cruises into semifinals
Russia strikes Ukrainian capital Kyiv with ballistic missiles